Friends and colleagues who know I follow Apple developments closely often ask me “When will the iPhone 6 come out?”. I thought I’d create a quick summary blog to answer this question as best we can without absolute confirmation from Apple.
To answer this question it may be helpful to look at recent history:
- The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007
- The iPhone 3G was then released on July 11, 2008
- The iPhone 3GS was released June 19, 2009
- The iPhone 4 was released on June 24, 2010
- The iPhone 4S was released on October 14, 2011
- The iPhone 5 was released on September 21, 2012
- And finally the iPhone 5C and the iPhone 5S were released on September 20, 2013
I would therefore expect the iPhone 6 to launch either on September 19th or September 20th 2014. I would not be surprised if Apple launched their new iWatch on the same day.
The new iPhone 6 will probably initially launch with a larger 5.5 inch display and will be followed in October / November by the smaller 4.7 inch display. The main features will be a new display coating made from Sapphire crystal, a faster processor, higher minimum memory and probably some additional sensors and improvements to Siri.
As I hear more I’ll update this blog post.