If you are like me when you got Apples new iOS6 maps on your phone the first thing you check is have they got your own business or the place you work listed in their database. As reported in the press several locations are missing and Apple are expecting to crowdsource corrections and additions. That means they actively want us to report suggested changes.
I’d read that Apple want us to report problems with maps but it wasn’t exactly obvious how you go about it. I’ve now worked it out and thought I’d share it with you in this blog.
All you need to do to add your business or a missing location to Apple Maps is:
1. Find the location on the map.
2. Tap the page corner in the bottom right of the map display.
3. The map page will then flip back as shown below to reveal the options screen.
4. Now look really carefully. Just above the print button in grey text on a grey background there’s a well hidden link for “Report a Problem”. It’s so well hidden that until you know it’s there I bet you couldn’t even see it.
5. Press this link and you’ll then see a list of the various types of problems you can report. Half way down the list you’ll find “Location is missing”. Select this option and then click Next.
6. They then display the map and ask you to position a pin where your business is located. Do that and then click Next.
7. You then get a screen which lets you enter the name of the business, address, phone number, opening hours, URL website address and the category of business.
8. When you have done all of that press Send and the details will be sent through to Apple.
I’ve now reported a couple of missing local businesses and will be tracking how long it takes Apple to approve the changes and commit them to their database. As soon as I see them I’ll update this blog with how long it takes.